Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Digital Music Rights rant

I'm not one to really publicly express my disgust with the RIAA or the MPAA (though I do have it). As a disclaimer, I don't download music off of P2P software, or any other illegal channels. The latest and greatest (well, actually worst) that they are working on is trying to peg mp3s as evil. In Atlantic vs. Howell, they specifically call out mp3 and say that if the songs are ripped to a person's computer in mp3 format and in a shared folder, the songs are no longer authorized copies. If successful in their claims, "fair use" of music which you've purchased will continue to be eroded. The music industry would like nothing more than to sell you music on a CD that you can only use in your house. It would then like to sell you a copy for a musical ringtone for your phone, and a DRM encrypted copy to play on your non-mp3 music player. Oh, and then maybe one more copy that you can only play in your car, if they can swing it. I don't think a lot of people realize how much is at stake as the RIAA continues to sue people. I realize I'm degenerating into a rant, but this is a modern monopoly changing laws and rewriting fair use to help maximize the paychecks of the executives and the lawyers associated with the RIAA. And they're just planning on succeeding based on people's apathy, but that's a rant for another day.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wow. That's about all I have to say. I am absolutely speechless...almost.

Sabrina said...

Karen, you speechless? This must really affect you! It is pretty ridiculous. The RIAA and MPAA are fighting modern technology tooth and nail. My theory is though that they will pay for that decision. They need to embrace it and find new business models, not fight it. At least, I hope that's how it shakes out.

Anonymous said...

You don't, since when?