It wasn't truly day one, as we'd flown in the night before and didn't get to bed until midnight or so (which was equivalent to 4 am MDT). After a late start to the morning and a stop to procure provisions, we headed to the eastern start of the Sleeping Giant Hike. While it wasn't our favorite hike on the trip, it was still a good warm up. One of the things that stands out from this trip is that it really takes a long time to get different places because many of the roads are marked 25 or 35 MPH.
Once we got on the trail, it was a little confusing at one point which direction we should go. There was a group ahead of us that went one direction and so we started following them. After climbing up a hill that was clearly not the trail and passing by some Do Not Enter tape, we turned around, looked things up on the GPS, and headed another direction. I don't know what ever happened to the other group, but we never saw them again. Maybe that will turn into a ghost story some day...
We ate at a lot of food trucks on our trip. They were all very good.
I brought a gorillapod that I put my SLR on. It only last a few seconds before the weight of it caused it to droop. However, we got this picture before it did.
I confess that many of the pictures that I'll be posting I have pushed the dynamic range to get the exposure right because the clouds were awesome.
Believe it or not, this is one of the least beautiful places on the island. Just puts things in perspective as to how incredible the rest of it was.
The first of many hikes on the trip.
That evening we played frisbee on the beach at our hotel. It was a hotwire special. The room wasn't nice at all (thought it was clean) but the outside area was great. And let's be honest, if you're spending much time inside in Hawaii, you're doing it wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment